Wednesday, June 22, 2011

And so my adventure begins...

For those of you who don't know Brin and I will be spending the summer (if you call 50 degree weather summer) in Valdez, Alaska. We are working in the cannery for Peter Pan Seafood. I (Catherine) arrived here in Valdez yesterday (Brin comes next week). I left Boise at 6:30 A.M. and didn't get here to Valdez until 9:00 mountain time. Such a long, long day! I had two lay overs: one in Seattle for a little over two hours, and one in Anchorage for five hours. Such a long, long day!

When I got here I was surprised about how beautiful it was. I thought only old people could find beauty in rocks, trees, and mountains, but boy was I wrong. This place is absolutely GORGEOUS! I thought that Washington would be the greenest place that I've ever been, but this place takes green to a whole new meaning. We live in a valley with mountains on both sides and the Gulf of Alaska right down the road. It is just such a gorgeous place!

Just so people know where we are. We are in the southeast part of Alaska. Just to the east of Anchorage.



Just some pictures from my day today. We didn't have to work today, but we had orientation and then took a tour. My brother and I needed to go into town today to get some stuff we forgot. I forgot a razor and was freaking out yesterday on the plane that I was not going to be able to shave my legs or armpits all summer long and that I would come home a yeti or something! But Valdez is not just a fishing town. They have a few restaurants, a couple gas stations, and thank heavens a grocery store. So yes I was able to get a razor!  

I wanted to start this blog for a number of reasons:
1. To be able to document this summer for my own memory. I want to remember my thoughts and feelings of this summer; because let's be honest how many times will I be able to spend 2 months in Alaska?
2. I won't be have the time to be able to call and tell everyone what I'm doing. I will be working for long hours and won't have time to call everyone so I'll keep everyone updated at the same time.
3. People told Brin that we needed to do this. I think they think its funny that we're up here. I'll be honest I surprised myself by making the decision to come.
4. I wanted to prove to people that we can do this. I've had so many people tell me that Brin and I need to save our money because they know that we'll come home after just a couple of weeks (if we leave before the end of the season we have to pay for our flight home). I don't know why they think we can't do this, but they will just have to eat their words because we'll be OK in the A.K.!

3 comments:

  1. You'll do just fine! Go ahead and prove everyone wrong- you can do anything you set your mind to. We'll miss you tons on the family reunion/vacation this year, but you'll be earning the big bucks and you won't have to chase any screaming kids or change any diapers (not that you do that, anyways... :) ). Have a great summer and I can't wait to keep up with you on this blog. Update often, or else you might get some mean texts from me!

    And enjoy the greenery- places like Seattle and Alaska are hard to beat when it comes to beauty- it's just too bad it can't be warmer and a bit sunnier more often!

    I'll think of you when I open a can of tuna this summer, or walk by a fish pond. Have fun! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it'll be a fun adventure you'll always remember. How many people can say they've done something like this? Plus, I'm sure there won't be a dull moment with you two.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really glad you're doing this blog. Now I can keep track of all 3 of my girls. You'll have to keep me updated on Steve, too.
    Thanks for the map--I've always wondered where Valdez is. And thanks for the comment about old people and scenery. I know you were talking about me.
    Have fun and remember we love you!

    ReplyDelete