Monday, July 25, 2011

quite a week...

so to say this week has not been my week would be a bit of an understatement. its been one of those weeks when i feel like the whole world is just crashing down around me. its been a rough week, but one that i have learned so much from. i want to remember this week. i would write about it in my journal, but i don't have paper or pens/pencils and i'm too cheap to go buy them (i know...pathetic right?). nothing has happened directly to me, but to those i care so much about.
it is not my place to share whats happened.
however; i will share what i've learned.

i've learned that heavenly father knows exactly what is the best for us. he knew that me coming to alaska was the right thing for me to do. i'm so thankful that i came. i've already had the best time and learned so much about myself.
i've learned what it means to hate the sin, but love the sinner. that is something i never understood until this week. it is so hard to do, but it is so important. going along with loving the sinner is also not judging--something i've always struggled with. i judge almost everyone i meet right when i meet them. i've learned in alaska that that is not the way it should be. i've meet some of the best people and i never would have gotten to know them had i let my first judgement get in the way. its not my place to judge someone when i don't know anything about them.
i've also learned the importance of the simple stuff they teach us in church: praying, reading your scriptures, eternal families, temple marriage, word of wisdom, honesty, etc. i've learned this stuff since probably nursery and now i'm just barely learning the importance of these (i know...i'm dumb right?). we have these guidelines to help us, not to restrain us. they are there to protect us from the stupid things in life that will never help us.
i've learned how truly blessed i am to have the family i have. like i've said this has been a rough week, but it could have been much more rough had my family not been there for me. everyday i've had either a text or call, sometimes both, from my mom and sisters saying they are thinking about me and hoping i'm doing ok. those small things have helped so much--especially when i know they all have much more important things to worry about. those three women are exactly how i want to be when i grow up. they are so caring and loving, and i hope to be just like them. i like to appear tough to others, but i love that i can call my family in tears and not be embarrassed. i love that just hearing my mom or dad answer the phone makes me feel right at home.  i also can not say enough good things about steve. he has been wonderful up here. i'm not sure i could have lasted this week without him here talking to me and giving me hugs when i've cried (which has been more times than i care to share). 

so yes, it has been a tough week. a kind of week i hope i have very few of in my life. but i am grateful for this week. i've learned so much!

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you've had such a rough week. It's always good to hear from you. Amanda and Carrie are amazing and so are you. I hope things are better this week and that you get to work a lot of hours.
    Hang in there! We love you and miss you but know you're in the right place for now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rough weeks are no fun. When it rains it pours sometimes, but you are amazing to find the good in the bad and to learn some valuable lessons. Thanks for all the chats this week. Can't wait to see you again- you really need to come visit this Fall! Hang in there- things are definitely bound to look up soon. Love you!

    ReplyDelete